Saturday, February 26, 2011

Happy Birthday to Number 1 Son

Thirty-two years ago today, I was in a delivery room at the hospital in Pasadena, Texas waiting for something I had wanted all my the-young life...a Son. I had gone through the Lemaze classes and all that stuff so I could witness up close and personal the birth of my baby. We had no idea whether the baby was a boy or girl, so the excitement of the moment was tempered with the question "Boy or girl". As it turned out, that day brought me a Son. I was overcome with emotion when the doctor said, "It's a boy!". I had a Son. Wow.

I remember one time when I was staying the night with my Dad at my Grandma's house after my parents had separated. Dad and I were laying in bed when he told me something that I remember like it happened ten minutes ago. Dad said, "I was so happy when you born. I prayed that I could have a Son for my first child." Then he went on to tell me how proud he was of me. It was such a simple occasion that produced a memory that has lasted up to today, and will continue tomorrow and every day that follows til the Good Lord calls my name. The minute my Son ws born, I thought of that story that my Dad had told me so long ago. I. Had. A. Son. Just like my Dad.

That baby that came into this world on February 29, 1979 is now 32 years old with children of his own, yet in my mind he's still that chubby little boy that I held mere seconds after he was born. That moment at that time was the happiest day of my life, hands down. I still feel the joy of that day when I think of the fine young man that my Son has become. I have never been more proud of him than I am right now.

My Son, Trey, and I have been estranged from one another for quite a few years, but that doesn't put a damper on the fact that I am his father. Quite the contrary. I love him more now than I ever have. I know that when I get to see him again, the memories of that February 26 of long ago, will come flooding back and the tears of joy will flow like Niagra Falls. I have faith that one day soon we'll work things out and everything will be OK. The Lord has said as much to me in my heart. I don't fret over when and where Trey and I will reconsile, that's up to God and His timetable. I will be here to hug my Son and tell him that I was so proud to have a Son as my first child. Just like my Dad told me. It's all good. Just like it says in 2nd Corinthians Chapter 5, Verse 7, "we walk by Faith, not by sight." It's all good. So sayeth the Lord.

Also Because Toby said so.

No comments:

Post a Comment