Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's Gardening Time!!!

Last Years' Garden
Today is going to be a great day here in Augusta, Maine. It's the day that I am going to get out my tiny little greenhouse and sow all kinds of seeds so they'll be good and ready for the main garden. I won't be able to set up the main garden until the end of May. That was tough to handle when I first moved up here. I am used to having a garden ready for rockin' and rollin' by mid-May back in Texas. But, at least I get grow some good veggies. I think this year I am going to buy Heather a pressure cooker so we'll be able to can them for consumption at a later time.

The pictures I posted are of last summer's garden. As you can see, I do container gardening because I live in an apartment. It's not too difficult and as the plants grow, I can re-arranged them accordingly. Notice the bird feeder on the tall pole? That planter hanging next to the feeder is an example of upside down tomatoes. It works!
Upside Down Tomatoes
Here's a closer look at the Upside Down Maters. I hope my family and I can move into a hoiuse this spring, so I can have a real BIG garden. At any rate, I love my container garden and I am happy with the results I get from them. I'll probably do a lot of garden posts over the next few months, so be ready! I may have a tip for your garden that will be a big help to you. I also keep things as close to "organic" as I can. I do confess, however, that I am a Miracle Gro freak. It does wonders for plants that are containerized. I have be careful with it, though, so I don't over feed the veggies. I may post some pictures of the seed planting extravaganza later today. Issy is my gardening buddy and Bailey is the caboose in our little garden train.

Good luck with your garden and feel free to pass along any comments or pictures you'd like to share with us! We'd love to see them! Now get out there and grow something!

Because Toby said so.

No comments:

Post a Comment