Wednesday, February 16, 2011

An Anniversary in Toby's House

Three years ago today, something real good happened to me. Heather gave me the high honor of becoming my wife. It was something I had been looking forward to for at least a couple of years, so I was thrilled when my dream finally came true.

I have told this story before, so I'll spare you the long version of it and give a quick thumbail recap. Heather and O met online in an AOL chat room and we became quick friends. As time progressed, we became closer and clser to one another. On November 21, 2004 i heard her voice for the first time when she finally relented and gave me her phone number. What happened next is not exactly the right way to begin a relationship. I was living in Colorado in a big ass house with about two dozen steps from the sidewalk up to the front door - twelve steps then a landing then twelve more steps to the door. It was dark when I made the phone the phone call that would change my life. I was standing on the front porch and was about to step down when the heel of my hiking boots got caught on the step. I fell down the first twelve steps and ended up with an elbow broken in five places! The phone went flying as I threw it when I fell and I heard it crash when it landed in the street below. Anyway...
About 18 months later, unbeknownst to anyone, I boarded a bus in Denver and four days later arrived in Augusta, Maine. I called Heather and when she answered, I said, 'Honey, I'm home". That was May 13, 2006. I am still here.

I am in the process of adopting my oldest daughter (she has a sperm donor, not a father, who has never even seen her, the dumbass), Isabella, and Heather and I made a baby who is now four years old. That would be Bailey. Needless to say, my life now is much different than it was a few years ago, but it's the kind of life I dreamed of for many years, and for some odd reason, God saw fit to bless me with my new family. Life has never been better or more rewarding.

I guess the moral to my story is that if you keep your dreams alive and remind God of them from time to time, when He sees fit, your dreams will finally become reality. Thank you, Lord, for these three wonderful girls that are in my life now. I have been blessed way more than I derserve, but nonetheless, God saw fit to bless me and I ain't complaining.

Heather, I love you more than mere words can express. I cherish you with all my heart and I look forward to the spending the rest of my life as your husband and as a father to our children. I am deeply humbled by the fact that God has bestowed such blessings on a sinner like me. I only hope to please Him tenfold times the gifts he has given me. I love you, Heather.

Because Toby said so.

By the way, the phone that was a casualty of my little fall down the steps? It still works. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment