Friday, December 10, 2010

Priorities

Bill and His Priorities
Every once in a while I'll read something that turns me into an Honest-to-God sap. Especially when it comes to kids. As many of you know, I am the Father of four kids. My two sons are all grown up, Trey has his own children and young Toby just became a Dad to my three newest grand kids when he moved to Colorado to be with his sweetie pie. In addition to my sons, I inherited my first little girl, Isabella, when I moved to Maine. As I like to say, she was a little girl without a Daddy and I was a Daddy without a little girl. It all worked out just right. :) About nine months and two days (almost literally) after I got here, Bailey became the latest member of the Shoemaker Clan. She's now three going on seventeen.

I tell you these things because I came across an article that hit home when I saw it. I am now 54 years old and my mortality enters my thought process from time to time. It's not that I face an early demise, I fully expect to have a long, rewarding life. My life has already been eventful, so I'll settle for long and rewarding these days, but eventful will, I'm sure, pay me a visit every once in a while. I am prepared for that eventuality whenever it decides to happen. Anyway, I found this article about a guy named Bill who was living a normal life and all of the sudden BAM!. He contracted a rare liver disease and soon thereafter, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Talk about being hit the adversity 2 x 4. In an instant, Bill's life and his priorities changed forever.

I am not going to excerpt the article that I read, rather I am going to link to it and let you read the whole thing. It's a short article, so it won't take but a minute or two to read, but its impact on you could very well be profound. At the very least, it'll get your attention.

Here's the article. Read it when you can and never forget its message.

Because Toby said so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment